Rackspace has been making waves in the cloud hosting and enterprise level hosting sectors in recent years. It is one of the biggest hosting companies in the world with over 4,800 support staff and a host of industry awards to its name. It is most suitable for large or growing business or app developers who need who need flexibility, reliability and tailored solutions. It is also worth looking at if you are a growing small to medium size business or have a high traffic wordpress site.
Rackspace has grown very fast since 1998 and now focused on providing dedicated and cloud hosting to US and international companies. The company claims to have expanded 50% every years since it was founded it is a powerhouse for providing dedicated and cloud hosting services. More recently it has developed the OpenStack open source operating system for cloud computing as they strive to be the global leader in hybrid cloud services.
They provide cloud, dedicated, email and application hosting.
- Founded in 1998
- Offer dedicated managed hosting and cloud hosting (public, private and hybrid).
- Located in San Antonio, TX
- 9 global data centers
- Over 5,000 employees worldwide.
- Host to over 40% of fortune 100 companies
- They have over 4,800 support staff.
- In 2009 it launches Cloud files & Cloud servers which were later rebranded as The Racksapce Cloud.
- In 2010 they create an open source cloud platform called OpenSack in collaboration with NASA.
- In 2012 they release their public cloud platform on OpenStack.
Types Of Hosting
- Public Cloud
- Private Cloud
- Hybrid Cloud
- Cloud Servers
- Cloud Sites
- Cloud Databases
- Cloud Big Data Platform
- Cloud Files
- Cloud Block Storage
- Cloud Backup
- Cloud Monitoring
- Cloud Queues
- Cloud Networks
- Cloud Load Balancers
- Cloud DNS
- Email Hosting
- Microsoft Exchange
- Rackspace Email
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Managed Hosting
- Managed Servers
- Managed Virtualization
- Managed Storage
- Managed Colocation
- Managed Big Data Platform
They aim to set themselves apart from the competition in 3 main areas:
- Focus On Creating Bespoke Hybrid, Cloud & Dedicated Setups: As they tend to work with high traffic sites than than smaller websites, they put time into creating a hosting infrastructure that is tailored to the needs of your website needs and traffic levels. It is a flexible set up that allows you to scale up quickly as your business grows. You can host in their data centers or your own, use dedicated servers or share with others, use a virtual severs or bare metal ones. By using a hybird of environments they aim to give their customers the most value, flexibility and reliability.
- Use Open Technology (Open Stack): They openly make public the code that powers their cloud to allow their customers to innovate and control their data. The OpenStack infrastructure they developed is now the fastest-growing cloud platform and has over 12,000 contributors in 130 countries. This open technology philosophy is in contract to some other providers than use a proprietary system that restricts customers from accessing data and apps.
- 3. Responsive & Knowledgable Support: They haev over 4,800 support staff that are available by phone, live chat or email 24/7. They also have a team of specialist database administrators, over 80 Red Hat certified engineers and over 100 Microsoft certified professionals.
Server & CDN Locations:
Rackspace has a global presence and have 9 data centers in 6 regions including London, Vancouver, Sydney, Hong Kong, Texas, Dallas and two in San Antonio. It also has 219 CDN edge locations on 6 continents: North America (77); Europe (36); Asia-Pacific (70); Africa (17); South America (15); Middle East (4).
Cloud Hosting (Private, Public, Hybrid)
They offer public cloud, private cloud and hybrid cloud products. Their cloud hosing infrastructure is designed to work together seamlessly and allow you to manage everything from within their control panel. You can also pull the data into your own control panel via their API. You can get them all to your own dedicated hardware to create bespoke hybrid cloud set up that is optimised for your website(s) or application(s). The main features of their cloud hosting is as follows:
- 100% Single State Drives: All of their cloud servers use solid state drives (SSD) to deliver 59 time more disk I/O than their previous Cloud Servers (based on internal benchmarks).
- 100% Single State Drives: All powered by the open-source cloud operating system, OpenStack.
- Fast Processors: Speed They all have Intel Xeon E5-2670 processors to deliver up to 32 virtual CPUs.
- Open Source: Every host receives 40GB per second thoughtput to the host to enable super fast applications. It should be noted that traffic to their Cloud Servers and Cloud Block Storage doest compete as they are each allocated 20GB per second.
- Flexible RAM: RAM options from 1GB up to 120GB of RAM making them flexible enought to power basic web servers up to high load, high-performance applications and websites.
- Managed Options: Option to manage the cloud servers yourself or let Rackspace manage them with a upgrading to a managed service level.
- Reliability: As they cloud servers are located in various international locations, all with hardware RAID 10 storage (Mirroring without parity, and block-level striping), ECC memory, and fully redundant networking and power you will not have outages.
- Flexibility To Autoscale Your Cloud: You can set up the system with a few simple rules that will enable Rackspace to automatically grow or shank your cloud’s web or application tiers.
Range of Linux and Windows Cloud Server images available:
- Linux: Ubuntu, CentOS, Red Hat, Arch, Debian, Fedora, FreeBSD, Gentoo, openSUSE, Scientific Linux
- Windows 2008: Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Microsoft SQL Server 2010, Microsoft SharePoint 2010
- Windows 2012: Microsoft SQL Server 2012, Sharepoint
Their dedicated hosting options fall into the following sub categories:
- Managed Servers: Dedicated bare metal servers start at $499 a month
- Managed Virtualization: Benefits of the cloud combined with benefits of enterprise level VMware virtualization technology.
- Managed Storage: Up to 1920TB of storage available
- Managed Colocation: Move your data to their secure data centers and focus on your website and apps.
- Managed Big Data Platform: They can manage MySQL databases, MySQL server databases and Oracle databases.
- RackConnect (Hybrid Hosting): For those who want the scalability of the cloud combined with the added security of traditional hosting
- Simple Web Hosting
- Corporate Websites
- Web Content Management
- Business Application
- Microsoft Hosting
- Build a SaaS Application
- Big Data
- Automatic App Deployments
- Cloud Media Hosting
- Disaster Recovery Planning
- Test & Development
- Mobile Stacks
It scored highly on support due to the quick response of agents and variety of methods live chat, phone, knowledge base, forum and email. We analyses impartial user reviews on Spiceworks.com and WebHostingTalk.com and WhoIsHostingThis.com and the vast majority were positive with statements.
“Their support (chat, phone and email) is phenomenal. They’re very knowledgeable and if they don’t know they go ask.”” ITcrackerjack
“Support is amazing with Rackspace, they are quick and responsive everytime. We use their CloudSites, and have been very happy with them so far!” Danielle M. Ralston
“Customer support was a breath of fresh air compared to other Exchange server providers – very fast replies to emailed queries – fastest was 3 minutes and problem solved. Ok, there are cheaper options but you get what you pay for.” AlexCD
“truly the best support I’ve had from any techy company and a pleasure to deal with” Stevehoot
There were a minority of negative reviews including the following:
“There Cloud Sites has horrible support for Databases.” Shawn
On balance out a analysis of impartial reviews across several website were positive and their support infrastructure is top notch.
They are not the cheapest host by any means but the quality of their infrastructure and support mean they still score highly for value.
The website monitoring firm Hyperspin.com has rates Rackspace very highly. Their uptime measurements were as follows:
- Dedicated: 99.948%
- Cloud: 99.918%
The statistics are generated by Hyperpsin monitoring their users so they are totally impartial and unbiased. They do not monitor the uptime of the web host’s homepage or ISP, they only track their user’s hosts.
Overall Score% Overall
Please click the button below to leave your own review.[WPCR_INSERT]
Cloud Hosting Prices
Cloud Hosing from $0.04 per hour . The current pricing for Linux Cloud Hosting is below (estimated monthly pricing is based on 730 hours of service) For full pricing for all cloud hosting including Linxus, Red Hat Enterprise, Windows, Windows + SQL Web, Windows + SQL Standard click the link below.
Dedicated Hosting Prices
Rackspace’s dedicated hosting starts at $499 per month and some of their pricing options are shown below.
Dedicated Managed Private Servers from $400 per month …. see all pricing options